.....is an multi award winning Tasmanian architect and artist who operates a diverse architectural practice. Integrating a select team of specialist consultants, with the aim
of generating awareness in the built environment. Steven's principle objective is to produce quality design solutions with an individualistic and creative style.
THE LAST VILLA PROJECT
Tasmanian architect Steven Last in 1993 purchased what was known as Pattison's garage. The garage formed part
of a larger block that included the red brick Arts and Crafts style house, which has been rebranded as ' The Last Villa '.
Over a period of twenty years Steven Last has restored and converted the property into a number of apartments.
In 2009, the property won the Australian Institute of Architects [ Tasmania ] Award for
The Last Villa is of historic cultural heritage significance because it is rare and uncommon
example of vernacular architecture constructed from recycled materials in a creative and resourceful way during
a period of austerity following World WarTwo.
The Last Villa was nominated in the 2009 Australian Institute of Architects [ Tasmania ]
Awards in the Interior Architecture Category.
Recycling and reuse, eclecticism, and seclusion, have become part of a greater strategy to
create apartments that are distinctively individual and removed from their immediate context.
In 2008, The Last Villa was nominated in the Australian Institute of Architects [ Tasmania ]
Awards in the Small Projects Category.
With the vision of being respectful to the past yet remain acutely aware of contemporary living,
a fine balance has been achieved through a series of adaptive interventions.
CURRENT PROJECT - THE LAST WORKSHOP
The Last Workshop is located in the heart of Battery Point, where the building began it's life in the 1850's.
The site was originally a dairy to the adjacent homestead. Considerable architectural interventions occurred
in 1912, with the addition of a brick structure enclosing the original garden.
This form began its new life as a motor mechanics workshop operating in De Witt Street. In approximately
the late 1930's, the service station ceased and the workshop experienced a series of related activities,
including car restoration, stage design, photography studio and more recently a sailing school maintenance
and repair shop.
Purchased by Steven Last in July 2014, and has recently rejuvenated this space with sensitive refurbishment,
establishing a distinct unique exhibition, workshop and apartment.
Lateral thinking with a creative building surveyor created a multiple use apartment/exhibition and events space.
The space can be adapted for art exhibitions and events, product launches, and visiting international artists who
may lease the space.
NOMINATED BY THE AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS [ TASMANIAN ] AWARDS FOR BEST SMALL PROJECT 2016
PAST PROJECT - THE LAST BEACH HOUSE
The Last Beach House is located on Victoria's Phillip Island along the foreshore at Surf Beach. Described by Steven
as liked to a tea chest, rough and textured on the outside and refined within. Designed and built to withstand the local
conditions this simple cubist box with a flat roof was Steven's home by the sea.
Again Steven opted to furnish this shack with a stylish mix of finds, including Danish chairs and old surf skis, unearthed
in places from Inverloch to Tasmania.